Here we are in Big Pine, a really small town. Today we plan to hike the Mt. Whitney trail to the first lake, Lone Pine Lake. The first order of business is, of course, breakfast. And there is a Country Kitchen just down the street, so we check it out. Not bad. Sally-Heath surprised me by having the small order of biscuits and gravy. The boys are parked across the street in one of the few shady spots, and the temperature is obviously on the way to 100 today!

Gas topped off, we’re off to Lone Pine and Mt. Whitney. The drive is fairly quick, even though we stop along the way to take pictures. The mountains are just incredible – very little snow here, but they are majestic. For most of the trip the road is divided highway, but there is some construction where the divided highway hasn’t been completed yet. Interesting there is a town (not on our map) called Independence about halfway, and the gasoline is cheaper there than in either Pine (Lone or Big). We’ll top off in Independence on the way home.

We didn’t stop in Lone Pine, but turned right and headed up to Whitney Portal. I remember when this drive was intimidating, but now, after some of the roads we have been on, on this trip, this is a piece of pie! It’s still ‘interesting’ – the drop off is severe, the elevation change is considerable, but the road is actually wide (except in a few places). There are definitely several places just waiting to have a rockslide.

There is good news in Mudville today! We can take the boys on the trail! Yippee! We thought we couldn’t take them, but happily we were incorrect. They could not go to the top, or past the boundary into the ‘Whitney Trail Boundary’, but they can go up to Lone Pine Lake. Who knew? That is doubly good, because one of us would have had to stay with them while the other hiked – it’s way too hot to leave them in the car. This is great!

We have done this hike before. Sally-Heath has done it several times, I only once. The hike starts at roughly 8300 ft. and the lake is at roughly 10,000 ft., 3.2 miles long, a fairly steady grade switchbacking up the hill. Some is in forest, but most is open with low shrubs, and the drop off is almost always dramatic. Pictures just don’t do it justice. The views are fantastic, the size is just incredible. I recommend this hike to anyone – go to Lone Pine Lake, or all the way to the top of Mt. Whitney, but go.

On the way up I had Jake and Sally-Heath had Woody. We normally hike this way, because Jake has to be in front, and I am normally in front (Sally-Heath hates it when I’m behind her). We sort of hop-scotched up the hill, stopping often for pictures, rest, and to let the boys play in the streams that cross the trail. They were really happy to be able to douse their bodies in the cool water on the way up – it was a bit hot.

I got a little bit ahead, so Jake and I waited just below Lone Pine Lake. When Sally-Heath and Woody got there it was obvious that the heat, altitude, and her sickness had taken over. She was a mess, and unable to go up any further. She rested up and headed back down, and I took the boys up to the lake, which was only another 10 minutes! So close! We stayed there for a few minutes, I hoped the boys would swim, but they only stepped in at the edge for some reason.
We headed back down, and the trip down was a bit faster and easier than the trip up. We actually caught up with Sally-Heath, and then we slowed down to let her hike at her own pace. When we got back to the trailhead she was waiting with camera in hand.

A quick stop at the store at Whitney Portal and we are back on the road to our room in Big Pine, one hour away. The trip back was uneventful and fairly quick. The boys are hungry, so they get fed first, then we leave them in the heat in the car to have dinner across the street at Rossi’s [again]. And once again Rossi’s comes through – I had a great filet, and Sally-Heaths shrimp and pasta dish was great too. Too much food though, and we decided to try just a salad tomorrow!
When we got back and rescued the boys from the hot car, it was time for Barack to make his acceptance speech, so we watched that – quite a speech. That’s about it for the evening and the day. It was a great day – I just wish Sally-Heath could have enjoyed it more. Good night.
1 comment:
Poor mommy. It won't be hot here. You'll get a nice dose of spring. I promise that our walks will be plentiful, relatively flat, and cooled by a nice seabreeze.
We will have two gorgeous dogs with us, too. So you'll feel right at home.
I have two candle parties this weekend. The last Swans game (regular season) is tonight. Some die hard fans have said that we only have 5 wins to the flag. Good luck to the boys; they haven't been playing as if they have 5 wins in them. But one can hope.
Alan has walked into Five Dock to go to the dry cleaners, the hair dresser, and the pharmacy. The boys are in the backyard. I have the window in the living room open and the back screen door, too. Spring is close.... Mr sun is good.
That's all for now. Oh, except to say that the food we are eating is working. Alan and I have both lost weight. In a year, I bet we're both in amazing shape. Yippee!!!!
I love you both. WLC.
Post a Comment