Friday, August 1, 2008

Day 41 - Hope

Hope, 16 miles total and 19.0 mpg. Totals for the trip, 6976 miles, 27.8* mpg. Those are the stats.

Izu Japan - Sister City
Today there is a threat of rain, but as of noon it hasn’t happened yet. We had a nice breakfast (potato cakes for me!) and let the boys loose on the tennis courts again. They got a good run. Sally-Heath is headed out to do laundry, and I’m doing whatever, beginning with writing.

It’s interesting to watch the reaction people have to the boys. I’d say most have love and affection. But some have fear – whether it’s one boy or both together. It’s the children with fear in their eyes that I wonder about, and am concerned about. Where did that fear come from? The adults who seem afraid – where does that come from? We’ve had some great conversations with dog lovers and with current and former Brittany owners. It’s unanimous, they run [away]. Woody and Jake are not unique in that. Places where we are confined - in close quarters – such as a boardwalk, catwalk or tram – are especially interesting in this regard. Some folks almost seem to be willing to go over the catwalk railing rather than walk past the boys! Most want to pet them – many are pet deprived – they need to love a pet, any pet. I’m sure their pet will soak it all up when they get home. I know I’m that way when I’m away – I’ve even been known to befriend a cat [don’t dare tell anyone, especially not the boys!]. I’m not proud of it. This though has nothing to do with today specifically – I’ve just been thinking of writing it down, so here it is. It’s a slow day, so there’s room.

We accomplished breakfast, laundry, walking/running the boys, and most importantly, napping. (S-H: I didn’t nap, I read.) We made an attempt at hiking, but the weather didn’t cooperate – in fact, it picked that very time to rain as heavily as it rained all day. We caved, and went on a short driving exploration, around a lake and in town. With hiking off the table we were really at loose ends. We spend some time selecting the restaurant for the last meal – ended up at Rollys, where we had breakfast – then after overeating we walked the main street. Not much happening in Hope on Friday night – at least not that we could stumble across. (We did go into a store that had two interesting NW First Nations masks. One an eagle and the other an articulated raven) We didn’t ask anyone where the action was. Tonight our action looks to be an exciting Cribbage tournament.

Doug and Sally-Heath
So it was a slow day, but that’s okay. We probably needed to slow down a bit after Golden, and Hope has certainly allowed, almost forced, us to do exactly that. I think the rest of the trip will be at a much slower pace, and that is good. We’ll spend more time doing each thing we do, enjoy it more fully, more completely. I’m looking forward to it. Goodnight.

No comments: