Moving days are tough. Up a little early (7:30), light breakfast (muffin and coffee) breakfast at hotel, pack up and load the car. We were actually rolling around 10am.
First stop, of course, was the dog park. Nothing of consequence today – there was an elderly dog there, and Jake tried everything to get him to play, but he was having no part of it. Just as we were leaving a younger dog came in, but no wild running came out of that either. Jake did hit the afterburners once or twice on his own while we were there. Pure joy!
Next was the Lavender Farm. Sally-Heath wanted to buy some lavender stuff – and we found the farm okay, in fact we had driven by it before but didn’t recognize it at the time (one field of lavender look pretty much like every other field of lavender, sort of like herds of cows). (It’ll come to you later today) (and you’ll be sorry) Anyway, the lavender folks must have slept in, because it was way after there opening time, and the gate was nailed shut. Actually, we saw that it was closed, and made no effort to open it ourselves. So…
On to Victoria, where we will catch the ferry. On that trip long ago, when we arrived at Victoria, we went almost immediately to a wharf and had wonderful fish and chips. Guess what. By pure luck, I’m pretty sure we drove almost directly there again! We had a great fish and chips lunch at Fishermans Wharf – Barb’s Place (http://www.barbsplace.ca/fishermans.htm). I don’t know if that was the name before, but it sure was the same place and great fish and chips. I think that before they wrapped the order in newspaper – no more, much more organized – even use pagers to let you know your order is ready. But a good meal.

The Ferry. And US Customs. Not too bad, just took a long time. We had to be at the terminal 90 minutes before departure, which means be there at 1:30 for the 3pm ferry. And we were, and we waited. We got our tickets, had a brief talk with a customs person, and waited. The ferry was on time, we loaded – tight as hell, nothing like the domestic ferry we took earlier. Took the boys with us up on the poop deck, which was partially enclosed and covered, and was very comfortable. It was drizzly and cool, but nice. We didn’t get wet. The boys were good, even though there was a CLYD within easy eating distance. The trip across is open water, no scenery, nothing much to talk about, and since it was rainy we didn’t venture around the boat much. We landed in Port Angeles, and the unloading process was very efficient. A short wait for customs to check our fruit, and we were on the road again.

Now we are looking for a restaurant called 3 Crabs. We have detailed directions (from Google Maps), and they are good – we drove right to it. Our friend Georgine France recommended the restaurant. She and Bernard, who passed away recently, ate there occasionally, and Bernard loved the Dungeness Crab. So we decided to give it a try, being crab lovers ourselves. Well, the one crab I had was huge. Just like a Maryland crab, but about triple the size. They had cleaned it and removed the top, which was placed back on for serving, but I had to pick it just like you do. And I did. And Sally-Heath got great joy from watching me pick that crab. I had fun with it. It took almost 45 minutes to eat the crab. And it was good. Bernard was right, as usual.
Now it’s time to drive down US101 to Shelton, and find the Little Creek Casino where we are staying tonight, also recommended by Georgine. US101 is a scenic route, and really very beautiful, with the trees, the terribly thick forest that are so dark I think I’d be scared to go in, and the water – Dabob Bay, which goes on forever, is just great. It is dark by the time we get to Shelton, and finding no sign advertising the casino we actually go into city center and ask someone. With directions in hand, we find it first time with minimum trouble. The place is really nice – new, big, I wish we were going to stay more than 11 hours!
But we aren’t, and it’s late now, and I’m going to bed. Goodnight!
1 comment:
Fifty-two days! How amazing is that? You're not done yet, I know, but that is incredible. Congratulations on not killing each other. WLC.
Post a Comment