Sunday, August 24, 2008

Day 63 - Pete and Ali are home!

Foster City - 49 miles total and 22.7 mpg. Totals for the trip, 9338 miles, 26.8* mpg. Those are the stats.

Today Pete and Ali come home. Yippee! Let the party begin.

We managed get the house reasonably straight and clean and watch Obama introduce Biden as his running mate before scooting off to the airport to pick Pete and Ali up. I took the boys to the dog park while Sally-Heath, Doug and Lucy went to fetch the travelers. The United flight status was fairly accurate, and there weren’t any long waits or disconnects.

Sams sign
The most important thing on everyone’s list at 1pm was food, and we had tried to get to Sam’s Chowder House on Half Moon Bay before – so this time we did it. The drive was very slow – there was a ton of traffic. When we got there we asked for appetizers FAST! They responded, and we went on to have a wonderful meal. I was totally stuffed – I think everyone else was too.

Rumi-Cube
The trip home was a bit less congested. Pete and I stopped by CostCo for, you guessed it, more food – specifically some salmon and chicken for the grill later.
Before I realized it a Rumi-Cube Tourny had begun. Doug, Sally-Heath and Ali were hard at it. Pete and I were left to watch. It was tough competition. To be fair, we were offered a seat, but for me at least, just lounging on the deck with the boys was really comfortable. I could just see enough of the game to kibitz and bother the players.

A little later Pete prepared the chicken for grilling, and soon there was chicken on the grill – in case anyone was hungry. I was still stuffed from Sam’s, but that chicken was so good I ate two pieces! The tournament had moved inside – something about too cool and fading light I think.

I don’t know who the official winner of the turney turned out to be – all the scores I heard were very close. But after the tourney we tried our luck with some Texas Hold’em. It was just a fun game, playing for chips, and Doug and Pete had to teach us the game. I’ve played before, but not enough to remember the logistics. What is a little blind and a big blind anyway? It was fun – I think everyone enjoyed it.

Pete and Doug on boat
I really wanted a boat ride – had been trying to drum up interest all day, but it was pretty breezy, so we had waited for the wind to die down a bit. Pete saved me – no one else was interested – and we took the three dogs for a nice little cruise up and down the lagoon. It was a beautiful evening, great temperature – the whole day was great weather.

Pete, Doug, Ali, Sally-Heath
When we got back there was a wood fire going in the fire pit on the deck. That was just super – I must have spent an hour just gazing at the fire – you know how that is! Everyone slipped off to bed, leaving Doug and me to watch the end of Sunrise, a Sci-Fi movie. I was surprised when I noticed it was 2:30. Went to bed. Slept really well. Another great day.

1 comment:

Wendy Lloyd Curley said...

Oh, oh, OH! I want to be there, too!!!!

Viva l'Italia! And Aloha! WLC.