Tuesday, July 1, 2008

Day 9 - Red Lodge

Red Lodge MT, 56 miles total and 26.4 mpg. Totals for the trip, 2093 miles, 27.3 mpg. Those are the stats.

This was a great day right up to the end. We had weather today. It was a laid back day - no events. Here’s the way it turned out for me.

Slept in, and the first order of business was to check on the satellite internet service. Performance has been slow for over a week, and I am finding the upload and download speeds to be terrible, not to mention I can’t send email from my client, Mozilla Thunderbird. Receive yes, send no. First time for this problem. Anyway, I struggled with this issue and the Starband support line for several hours. I really don’t know if anything we did improved anything, but at least we tried. It seems that the bottom line is to upgrade modems for a more broadband like service, for a cost of about $20 more per month than currently paying. It’s about $100/mo for decent satellite internet service.

While I was being a geek, there was a wonderful breakfast prepared, fish, fruit, potatoes and peppers. Yummy. And the rough plans for the day were revised and delayed several times. What began as a day mainly at the cabin got started very late, interrupted by a storm and finally having maybe 2 hours actually at/in the cabin. Maybe another day – for the cabin. However, once we finally got moving, the four girls went shopping for the next several meals and such, and Lyle and Gary went to get a trailer for the snowmobile. Chuck and I had a few details to attend to, and we were last to leave the house – all were to meet at the cabin.

For Chuck and I it was quite a trip. A storm was approaching, and as we left the house the first drops were falling. We hadn’t been a mile before there was serious hail, ¼ to ½ inch, falling in droves. Chuck was driving the CR-V – sorta a test drive – and boy did he get a test drive. We eventually pulled under a tree for some protection. When the storm finally eased up we continued on to pick up the boys, then to the cabin.

It wasn’t too long before the girls got there. I took the boys for a couple of short walks – the rain had subsided, but there was still a real threat. The guys got the snowmobile up on the trailer, ready for transport. It wouldn’t start, but that is surely a minor repair job. There’s a story about the snowmobile and the Forest Service, but I’ll leave that for another time.

Gary and Lyle at cribbage
Sally-Heath and I took the boys for a walk down to the highway and back, about 3 miles total. All downhill, followed by all uphill. Not strenuous, but the altitude makes it interesting, especially when you have first arrived. Since we have been at high altitude for a while, we both felt the hike was pretty easy this time. The boys loved it. I had each one off lead for quite a while, and luckily no animal attracted them, and I was able to control them verbally fairly well. They are really getting better, but I know if a squirrel, rabbit, or something got their attention I would have no chance to stop them. But this short hike was uneventful – beautiful, but uneventful. We didn’t even get rained on!

The others left as we were hiking back, and we tagged along as soon as we got back to the cabin. Stopped to put the boys back in the kennel, and joined back up at the ranch. Sally-Heath was cooking dinner this evening, so we wouldn’t be late for dinner! Once we got back I realized I was exhausted. I passed out in a chair until just before dinner. Dinner was great – chicken with leeks, cheese toast and a nice salad. After dinner we sort of split up. Several went to the ‘mound’ to watch the sun set, although it was cloudy and there really wasn’t a sunset. Sally-Heath and I spent some quality time together, and opted for the spa, which was great. Others were on the porch, or in bed.

We had a nice long spa, and finally the porch group started moving. Gary joined us in the spa. Initially I had removed the spa cover just as I always have, but I found out that there was another way. So I undid what I did, and opened the spa properly. There could be a story here, but I hope not.

That’s about it. A very laid back day, very enjoyable. There’s a hitch at the end that we’ll just have to see how it goes.

Tomorrow, Chuck and Caroline’s friends Mark and Kay arrive. I hope they’re ready for us!

No comments: