Saturday, July 26, 2008

Day 34 - Blaeberry Mountain Lodge

Blaeberry Mountain Lodge, 59 miles total and 22.9 mpg. Totals for the trip, 5838 miles, 27.7* mpg. Those are the stats.

We slept in. Yippee! I think today we by default plan to recover from yesterday.(S-H: Default heck I dug my feet in and said we had to slow down.)

Sally-Heath fixed breakfast. I did dishes. We talked about both short term and long term plans for the trip.

The Lodge is fairly empty today – just us for now. So I got out the sax and proved how rusty I am. This is only the third time in the 34 days that I’ve played it, and each time has been very brief. It’s going to take some time to get back into shape when I get home. (That goes for physical conditioning as well – other than hiking, not much in the way of exercise)

Around 1 we drove the 12 miles into Golden for lunch and internet and maybe a car wash. Lunch was good. We hoped to find a place with free wireless access (like we did yesterday in Jasper), but the two places we found wanted $6/hr. I told them in a very nice way that that’s highway robbery, and they should be giving it away! I’m not going to pay for something that I have found to be flakey in many places – you never know if the link will be good, how fast it will be, anything. On this trip I have only had one good wireless connection – the free one in Jasper!

In the pub we had lunch and the bartender (and the customers) suggested that I see what wireless was available there. They didn’t offer wireless, but I might be able to get a connection. So I did (try) and I did get a connection, poor quality, but it turns out it worked pretty well – except for the several times it just stopped. During lunch I got the 50 pictures uploaded and updated the blog.

After lunch we blew off the car wash and came back to the cabin. I stretched out on the bed, and the next thing I knew it was after 6pm! I had a good nights sleep, but I guess I must of needed more after the 500 mile drive!

Sally-Heath
We wanted to hike to a falls not too far from the lodge, but we didn’t have good directions for how to find the trail. We set out anyway, looking for the needle in the haystack, or the falls in the mountain forest. We never found the falls, but boy did we have a nice ride. We took a dirt road that looked like it might lead to a/the falls. It was, of course, a logging road, and a good road. It climbed and climbed, with nice drops on the side, but it was a good enough road. After just a short while, the views and scenery that this road provided were super! That’s what most of today’s pictures are – the drive along that road.

We’re back at the cabin now. Sally-Heath took the dogs for a walk, no hike today, but I’m sure that will change tomorrow. It has been a lazy day, and we needed a lazy day. Looks like Sally-Heath is getting a pizza ready, and I’m about to pour the wine. Here’s to YOU!