Monday, June 30, 2008

Day 8 - Red Lodge - Puppies!

Red Lodge MT, 68 miles total and 27.2 mpg. Totals for the trip, 2036 miles, 27.4 mpg. Those are the stats.

We’re with the puppies, and it’s party time! All the time!

I woke up the second time around 8. The first time, 4am, I wrote yesterdays entry. Hope it was readable. This morning we’re going for a hike in hopes of locating the horses to bring them in. We want to take the boys, so I high-tail it to pick them up – that’s a one hour trip, and half of the mileage for the day (34). When I get back the hike has started, and I’m playing catch up, but I’m on vacation, so no worries. We get ourselves together and in short order we’re all on the trail.

The hike is along Red Lodge Creek, which flows by the Dunham’s house. It’s a beautiful, easy hike, through forest and large open areas. The flowers are beautiful. Everything is beautiful (in it’s own way). The boys seem to really enjoy it. I worked with each one off lead for quite a while, and although I felt like I had to constantly verbally restrain them, they really did very well. I know, though, that if anything ‘unusual’ had happened, like perhaps a bear – Lyle did see one – I could have lost a Brittany in a heartbeat.

The hike was successful – the horses were found and collected and walked back to the barn. Other than a few scratches (none on us) there were no injuries or problems. A great way to start the day.

By now it was after noon, and the second order of business was lunch. I was only involved in the eating part, and it was wonderful. Just about all the puppies worked on lunch (except me), and the grilled veggies and the hot brats were great.

The boys were with us, but Tara has a problem with other dogs, and there were a couple of flare-ups. As a result, Tara and Daisy were restricted to the laundry room. That’s a hard situation, and I hope somehow we can improve it. I love having the boys with us, and this is a fantastic place for them, but it isn’t fair to Lyle and Cindy or Tara and Daisy.

After lunch it was nap time for many. But I’m not that smart. I should have been, because this evening I’m the designated driver. More on that later. Sally-Heath took the boys back to the kennel, and we all got ready for dinner at Montana Hannas.
S-H is the DD going TO, and I’m the DD coming home. We took a very scenic backroad route going to Montana Hannas, stopping by the Grizzly Bar for a drink on the way. Can’t tell you how many deer we saw. They are everywhere! The countryside, the panoramas, the farms – beyond picturesque. Indescrible. You gotta see it!

Two Buffalo
We had a great dinner. There was only one other couple in the restaurant, so we could only run one couple off tonight. But actually we were very good, for us. Dean was our waitress, and she was great. The first wine wasn’t too great – so we got another bottle just to make sure. Then we got a bottle of good stuff. I’m dd – not drinking. My trout was great. Everyone was happy with their meal, I think. The dark chocolate cake with ice cream was really great too.

The drive home was, well, a drive. The good news is that we got home safely. There’s no bad news, I didn’t mean to imply that. But being the dd for this group is murder! Probably being the dd for any group is murder, but I think this group is pretty special. They took it pretty easy on me – unlike last night when Gary was dd – they badgered him to death! He handled it extremely well.

That’s about it for today. Oh! Wait! When we got home and got out of the Suburban we were greeted with an incredible sky. Unbelievable stars, Milky Way, just beyond reality. I got a drink (finally!) and we all went outside for a while to just marvel at it. Clearest of skys, darkest of skys, more stars than you can see from the Grand Canyon! Wonderful!

2 comments:

Wendy Lloyd Curley said...

How is the dd identified? Is it a volunteer basis or is it luck of the draw? Driving to seems like a non-dd event to me (though perhaps a few wines over lunch or margaritas in the afternoon would be missed). When is Jane dd?

Remember, the dogs are FINE in the kennel (happy and sleeping). Let the other dogs have their home.

Busy day for me. No stars this week, but we're going to Mudgee next week and will make sure to look up often! WLC.

Wendy Lloyd Curley said...

P.S. Please post a group shot.