Saturday, July 12, 2008

Day 20 - Missoula - Hayes Point hike

Missoula, 68 miles total and 22.6 mpg. Totals for the trip, 3336 miles, 25.8* mpg. Those are the stats.

I slept in again. Really nice. No early start today! First things first, breakfast at 10:30 (!) at The Shack. After a slightly shaky start everything is fine – the food is excellent and the service is great – nice ambiance too. We think perhaps one or two wait staff didn’t show up today.

Us - beginning of hike - Hayes Point
After breakfast, back to the room, get ready to hike. Today we’re going to Hayes point, about a 3 hour hike, and easy hike, not far from Missoula. We did the hike – it was as expected, very pretty forest, good, easy trail. (1200 foot altitude change, abt 5 miles.) No bears. I tried to get a picture of Missoula – there were some places where it was fairly visible, but there is still smoke in the air, and none of the pictures came out well. We didn’t encounter anyone on the trail! That was very unexpected. But welcome! It was almost like we had the whole mountain to ourselves. I enjoyed the hike and the forest.

After the hike it was back to the room, feed the boys, and then get ourselves cleaned up and fed. We headed out to eat downtown at Kettlehouse Brewery. Got there and found out two things about Montana. Microbrewerys are subject to a special set of rules! I probably don’t have this quite right, but they can’t sell small quantities after something like 8 pm, and they can’t serve food! Talk about a strong restaurant lobby! I should have suggest they move to Arizona, where they could do business on a level playing field!

So we went trolling for a place to eat. Ended up at Ciao Mambo, and Italian restaurant. It was great. We had a bottle of wine, garlic bread and pasta dishes – nothing extra, and we couldn’t finish what we had. I don’t know when or how we’re going to eat the leftovers, but they’re in the fridge, and we have a microwave….

Back at the ranch, boys are passed out (so is S-H!). So will be I, very shortly. Goodnight!

No comments: