Today was another day of surprises. First surprise, we had breakfast at the La Quinta for the first time – primarily to save some time. Second surprise was that we were up and moving in time to have breakfast at the La Quinta – they shut it down at 9am! More surprises later.

We packed up, loaded up and got out. We’re getting pretty good at this. Even the boys know what to do and what to expect. Before we leave Missoula though, there is one more hike on our list. It is a short hike in Rattlesnake Canyon, very close to town, on the north side. It’s a relatively easy trail up a canyon with obligatory creek gurgling on down. It is very pretty, and a good way to start the day. If one wanted to the hike can be extended to just about any length, but 3 miles is enough for this morning, thank you.
After the hike we’re on the highway. A short stint on I90 east, then MT200 to US83. All of it is scenic, as is becoming the norm, but US83, after just a little while, is a case of travelling up the middle of a valley between two very high mountain ranges, complete with snow. At times it is simply incredible, and other times it is just wonderful. Not only that, but it must be all downhill, because we get 31+ mpg on the trip.
A quick lunch at the Hungry Bear, and on to Big Fork. Here we initially take a wrong turn (north) and immediately find the ranger station we wanted to visit, then retrace our path and head south to Woods Bay, the Islander Inn. No problems here, and we are soon in our room unpacking [again]. The next couple of hours are undeserved. I needed a nap. Briefly, here’s what I got.
I couldn’t connect to the wireless system. Contacted Dell. They recommended installing a new Intel PRO/Set Wireless program. Did this. (keep in mind, each activity is at least 30 minutes). Couldn’t connect still, but for a different reason. Switched to the Windows wireless manager. Was able to connect in the office. Went back to room – not enough signal strength. That’s where it is – tomorrow is another day….
Turns out that we are across the street from The Raven, a restaurant/bar on Flathead Lake. That means 1) a place to eat dinner, and 2) tonight (Monday) they have live music, and I may be able to sit in! I don’t know what kind of music it might be. But around 8pm, after the computer tug-of-war is put on hold, we walk over. The place is packed! But we manage to find a table on the porch, overlooking the lake. It’s a beautiful view, even though Mr. Sun is streaming into our face. There are sailing, boating and kayaking going on, and that’s not the only thing that is fun to watch.
My buffalo/bear burger is great, as is Sally-Heaths shrimp salad. We finally hear the band getting started inside – inside is tiny – so we manage to get one of the few tables inside. The crowd doesn’t seem nearly as interested in sitting as we are. It’s a very youthful crowd. Turns out the band is, I think the best description is, a grunge band. I’m not familiar with very much that they play, but I like their music a lot. One or two songs are familiar. I’m thinking it’s time to take a pass – I haven’t spoken with them, but the Islander Inn owner has!
They take the first break – during the break I introduce myself, and I meet the drummers parents! The make the suggestion that we must go to Waterton on our trip, for at least the lake boat tour and the number 2 trail in North America. He says it is better that Banff. We may find out! Anyway, I finally talk with John, the lead guitar and singer for Sick Pony (Sean on bass, Kit or Kim on drums – guess what, the keyboard player is out tonight!).

We decided to play a Tom Petty song to lead off the second set. Which we do, it went well, I had fun, the crowd appeared to enjoy it, and I sat down with the understanding that I could join in on anything I felt like trying. There wasn’t a song in the next 6 that I could handle, so I packed up, and we went back across the street to collect the boys – remember the boys, they’ve been in the car all this time – and hit the hay.
That’s where we are now, but I’m not in the hay yet. Good night!
No comments:
Post a Comment