We got our earliest ‘on the road’ start this morning – actually about 8am. Found gas ($4.25!) and headed out. The focus for the day, other than getting to Casper WY, was to drive the Snowy Range Road. Routing to do this added a considerable amount to our mileage, but now that it’s done, I have to say it was worth it. It is quite beautiful.

Leaving Steamboat Springs, we backtracked just a little – discovered that we had crossed the Continental Divide late yesterday and MISSED THE SIGN! So we took the obligatory picture this morning. It was just east of that that we turned north for our new adventure. Honestly, it was a long drive to get there. There were some interesting sights, and of course the Rockies are ever present and ever beautiful, but the farms and green rolling country of Colorado gave way to the flat wind swept sameness of Wyoming, it’s pretty harsh. We had to drive northwest (away from Laramie), then take the scenic route and on in to Laramie.
Just like the Rockies yesterday, there is no way I can describe the beauty and splendor. Please look at our pictures. It was great, and it was cold – funny that it seemed colder on this ride at around 10K feet than it did in Rocky Mountain National Park at 12K.
We ate and gassed up in Laramie, and headed on up to Casper. We did not use interstates, even though that may have been faster. The roads we did use were fine and largely deserted, and driving was easy. Lots of cows and antelopes and trains. One thing that just seemed out of place – a 4 lane divided highway that was totally deserted! There was more traffic on the adjacent train track. It only lasted about 20 miles. There really isn’t much to say about this drive. We did it and we’re glad (it’s over). It was better than using the interstate, I’m sure. We did see a wind turbine power generating station. Can’t help but wonder why Wyoming isn’t asea with windmills. I guess it’s similar to the reason Arizona isn’t covered with solar panels – but I don’t know why that is (or is not) either.
We got to Casper, passed a Honda dealership, and decided to get the oil change I forgot in Scottsdale. That only took about 45 minutes, and we drove to our Days Inn. Here we are, ready to go out for dinner shortly. It was a very good day.
Went to Poor Boys Restaurant for dinner. It’s a pretty nice steakhouse, but what an evening! When we got there there was confusion over what tables had been assigned, and where they could put us. After we had our salads, a waitress tripped just behind me and a tray of dishes went to the floor right behind me. No one was injured. I had to send the loaf of bread back for warming. When the food came, my order was incorrect, but I didn’t realize it until after our waiter had disappeared, and it looked good, so I ate it. Turns out it was the meal for the guy just behind me. Thank goodness we both like our steaks rare! Along the way we were visited by two waiters and the manager, all trying to make things right. Even with the mistakes it came out okay.
And lastly, I think we may have discovered where mosquitoes come from – Casper! S-H was almost devoured, and while I don’t normally attract them, I sure do attract them here! It’s almost scarry!
Tomorrow we head for Cooke City MT, the last stop before Red Lodge!
2 comments:
Looks cold - think of me - its cold here, too. But nice and sunny this weekend. I love you both! Enjoy.
The Rockies are everything I thought they would be, hopefully Pete and I will drive it some day.
I have a lot to catch up on. We went to Lake Tahoe for a few days, also very beautiful.
Love and Hugs!!
Post a Comment